Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Remember to Stretch

A few months ago I noticed that I was having pain in right my hip flexor. It would tighten and hurt every so often when I would take a step. As you can imagine, it was far from fun. I had gone back to running fairly regularly and I noticed a connection to the pain and my running. It’s my nature to research things so I hit the Internet and found out that I might need to improve my stretching routine before and after my runs. I also learned that because my job involved me sitting for long periods of time my hip flexors spent a lot of time contracted which only exacerbated the problem. 

So, when I started doing some research for this post I thought it would be easy. We are talking about stretching and that seems like a pretty straightforward subject.  Stretching….it’s good for you, do it! Well, as it turns out, it’s not quite that simple. There is question over whether traditional stretching before your workout helps or hinders athletic performance. Because this is not a forum of debate but, instead, a place to share useful information about getting and staying in shape we are going to assume that stretching is good (because I personally believe it is) and discuss the how and when to stretch.

Before we start, here are a couple terms we will focus on:
 
Static stretching “is when you stretch and hold the muscle just beyond its normal range of motion. Each stretch is ideally held for 15 to 30 seconds. Its primary purpose is to increase flexibility of the muscles and ligaments.” (Rohmann, 2011)

Dynamic stretching or active stretching is stretching the muscle while moving. (Reynolds, 2008). It is “comprised  of controlled movements involving leg and arm swings that slowly bring the muscles close to their range of motion limit without exceeding it” (Rohmann, 2011)



Pre-Workout Stretching


Stretching before exercise “can improve your flexibility, reduce risk of injury, and improve your overall quality of life.”(Belleme, 2008) It is recommended that for dynamic stretching is the best form of stretching before working out as it helps to increase blood flow to your muscles.  As Gretchen Reynolds writes in her New York Times article, dynamic stretching “increases power, flexibility and range of motion.”

Dynamic stretching serves another very important purpose. It lets your body know what it’s about to do.  It’s like a rehearsal before the big show. Reynolds’ article suggests the most effective dynamic stretches are the ones that mimic the action the body will eventually perform.  For example, since I am a runner part of my stretching should involve lunges and squats.

Post-Workout Stretching


Static stretching after a workout helps to prevent muscles from contracting. (Van Hart) It is commonly thought that stretching after a workout will help decrease muscle soreness and help in recovery.  According to personal trainer, Stephanie Pipia, “static stretching suppresses the central nervous system, relaxing the muscle spindles by lengthening them, and has been shown to actually reduce power and force production in several studies.” (Rammohan, 2012)

Remember when performing static stretches to hold the stretch for at least 30 seconds. Also, and this may seem obvious but you’d be surprised, stretch both sides.  If you stretch your left hamstring, don’t forget you have a right hamstring too and you probably worked that muscle equally as hard. (Belleme, 2008)

As an update to my story I did start stretching more before my run, even though many of my stretches are still static (I’ll try those lunges and squats next time I run) and I spend more time stretching post-run. I take time to concentrate on stretching my hip flexors.  I have found that the pain has lessened significantly since I’ve made these changes. So I will remain with the “stretching is good” mindset.

 
References:

Belleme, G. (2008, June 18). “Importance of Stretching Before Exercises.” LiveStrong.com. Retrieved from: http://www.livestrong.com/article/473698-importance-of-stretching-before-exercises/

Reynolds, G. (2008, October 31). “Stretching: The Truth.” New York Times. Retrieved from: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sports/playmagazine/112pewarm.html?_r=0

Rammohan, Y. (2012, April 10). The Best Way to Stretch Before and After a Workout. Shape Magazine. Retrieved from: http://www.shape.com/blogs/weight-loss-diary/best-way-stretch-and-after-workout

Rohmann, Riana. (2011, May 26). “Stretches Definition.” LiveStrong.com. Retrieved from: http://www.livestrong.com/article/350043-stretches-definition/#ixzz2CG36owoC

VanHart, Z. (2012) “What to Do After a Workout, When Exercise is Over, the Work Isn't.” SparkPeople.com. Retrieved from: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=117

No comments:

Post a Comment